- Symmetry-a shape is symmetrical when it looks the same on the other side of the reflection line. If you fold the shape in half, the edges all meet up. Some letters are symmetrical like A and X, but not N or Z. Students should be able to draw the line of symmetry as well as draw the reflection of a shape. Using dot paper can help to draw the reflection. The challenge is when the reflection line is at a diagonal.
- SBA Math Prep
- Grammar: Negatives
Add "not" to change a sentence to the negative form.
Many words with not can be formed into a contraction. Other negatives include never, no one, nothing.
- Comprehension skill: Main idea and key details
- Kapu system: Some kapu in Hawaii long ago included:
- Men and women could not eat together. Even their food could not be cooked in the same imu (underground oven).
- Women couldn't eat banana, pork, and certain fish.
- Fishing for certain kinds of fish at different times of the year was kapu.
- Certain days were kapu-no work or play, only worship.
- Compared kapu from long ago to characteristics of laws today. Many kapu would be considered inappropriate today. However some kapu like catching fish at certain times are appropriate so the fish population does not become extinct.
- Art with Mr. Banes
- 4/30-5/4: Book Fair
- 5/8 & 5/10: SBA-Math
- 5/11: Health-Comic Strip due (assigned 4/2)
- 5/15: Island Design due (assigned 4/24)
- 5/16 School ends at 2:10pm (not 12:45)
- 5/18: Spring Celebration
School ends at 12:45pm
- 5/28: No School-Memorial Day
- 5/30: Schools ends at 2:10 (not 12:45)
- 5/31: Last day of school for students; School ends @